Article 212 A county government may borrow only –
(a) if the national government guarantees the loan; and
(b) with the approval of the county government’s assembly.
Article 220 of the Constitution and section 129 of the Public finance Management Act,2012 empowers the County Assembly to approve the budget of the County Government
220 (2) National legislation shall prescribe –
(a) the structure of the development plans and budgets of counties;
(b) when the plans and budgets of the counties shall be tabled in the county assemblies; and
(c) the form and manner of consultation between the national government and county governments in the process of preparing plans and budgets.
- A County Executive Committee member for finance shall submit to the County Executive Committee for its approval –
(a) the budget estimates and other documents supporting the budget of the county government, excluding the county assembly; and
(b) the draft Bills at county level required to implement the county government budget, in sufficient time to meet the deadlines prescribed by this section.
- Following approval by the County Executive Committee, the County Executive Committee member for finance shall –
(a) submit to the county assembly the budget estimates, supporting documents, and any other Bills required to implement the budget, except the Finance Bill, by the 30th April in that year; and
(b) ensure that the estimates submitted in subsection (a) are in accordance with the resolutions adopted by county assembly on the County Fiscal Strategy Paper.
- Each county assembly clerk shall prepare and submit to the county assembly the budget estimates for the county assembly and a copy shall be submitted to the Count Executive Committee member for finance.
- The County Executive Committee member for finance shall prepare and present his or her comments on the budget estimates presented by the county assembly clerk.
- The County Executive Committee member for finance shall ensure that the budget process is conducted in a manner and within a timeframe sufficient to permit the participants in the process to meet the requirements of the Constitution and this Act.
- As soon as is practicable after the budget estimates and other documents have been submitted to the County Assembly under this section, the County Executive Committee member for finance shall publish and publicise the documents.
- Upon approval of the budget estimates by the county assembly, the County Executive Committee member for finance shall prepare and submit a County Appropriation Bill to the county assembly of the approved estimates.