Housekeeping Committees Comprise of:
- House Business Committee.
The house business committee is established pursuant to the provisions of standing order no. 152. Of the Vihiga county Assembly Standing Orders. That;There shall be a select committee, to be designated the ‘ County Assembly Business Committee, consisting of-
- The Speaker who shall be the chairperson;
- The Leader of the Majority Party;
- The Leader of the Minority Party; and
- Not less than twenty one and not more than twenty-nine members, who shall be nominated by County Assembly parties and approved by the County Assembly at the commencement of every Session, reflecting the relative majorities of the seats held by each of the County Assembly parties in the County Assembly and taking into consideration the interests of Independents.
The County Assembly Business Committee is appointed within seven days on assembly of a new County Assembly.
In nominating the Members to the County Assembly Business Committee, each County Assembly party shall include its Whip into the membership.
In the absence of the Speaker, the Deputy Speaker shall attend and Chair the meetings of the County Assembly Business Committee.
The County Assembly Business Committee has the following functions;
- Prepare and ,if necessary, from time to time adjust the County Assembly Calendar with the approval of the County Assembly;
- Monitor and oversee the implementation of the County Assembly Business and programmes.
- Implement the Standing Orders respecting the scheduling or programming of the business of the County Assembly and the functioning of the Committees of the County Assembly;
- Determine the order in which the reports of Committees shall be debated in the County Assembly;
- May take decisions and issue directives and guidelines to prioritize or postpone any business of the County Assembly acting with the concurrence of the Leader of the Majority Party or the Leader of the Minority Party, as the case may be.
- Consider such matters as may from time to time arise in connection with the business of the County Assembly and shall have and perform such powers and functions as are conferred on and ascribed to it by these Standing Orders or from time to time by the County Assembly.
- Liaison Committee.
The liaison committee is established under the provisions of Standing Order no.192.
The Liaison Committee consists of the Chairperson of Committees as the chairperson and the chairpersons of all committees of the County Assembly.
The Liaison Committee –
- Guide and co-ordinate the operations, policies and mandates of all Committees;
- Deliberate on and apportion the annual operating budget among the Committees;
- Consider the programmes of all Committees, including their need to travel and sit away from the precincts of County Assembly;
- Ensure that Committees submit reports as required by these Standing Orders;
- Determine, whenever necessary, the committee or committees to deliberate on any matter; and
- Give such advice relating to the work and mandate of select committees as it may consider necessary;
- The Liaison Committee shall consider reports of Committee that have not been deliberated by the County Assembly and shall report to the County Assembly on the consideration of such reports.
The Liaison committee is a committee of all chairpersons of the various committees of the county assembly.
- Committee on Procedure and House Rules
It is established under the provisions of Standing Order no.188.
- The committee comprises the Speaker as chairperson, the Chairperson of Committees and not more than three other Members.
- The County Assembly Procedure and Rules Committee considers and reports on all matters relating to these Standing Orders.
- The County Assembly Procedure and Rules Committee may propose amendments to the Standing Orders and any such amendments shall upon approval by the County Assembly, take effect at the time appointed by the County Assembly.
- The County Assembly Procedure and Rules Committee may propose rules for the orderly and effective conduct of committee business and any such rules, shall upon approval by the County Assembly, continue in force until amended or repealed by the County Assembly.
- Any rules approved shall be annexed to the Standing Orders and shall be binding upon Committees to the same extent as these Standing Orders
It is therefore responsible for providing rules for the orderly conduct of committee business. Proposes amendments of standing orders
- Committee on Selection
The committee on selection is established under the provisions of standing order no.153.
- The Selection Committee, consists of the Leader of the Majority party who is be the chairperson, the Leader of the Minority party not less than eleven one and not more than nineteen members, who are nominated by County Assembly parties and approved by the County Assembly
- The Committee on Selection nominates members to serve in Committees, save for the membership of the County Assembly Business Committee and Committee on Appointments.
- The Committee on Selection is appointed within ten days on assembly of a new County Assembly.